Career Firefighter Paramedic Lateral Process
Unified Fire Authority is offering an opportunity for Paramedics to join UFA as a Paramedic Firefighter with a starting wage up to the top step (Step 10) on the Firefighter Pay Plan. To be eligible for a Firefighter Paramedic Lateral, candidates must be a certified Paramedic and be currently employed by a first-responder firefighting agency as a full-time Paramedic and pass our required paramedic skills evaluation process.
Firefighter Paramedic Lateral candidates participate in the same testing and selection process alongside entry-level Firefighter and Paramedic candidates. Further details about the overall testing and selection process can be found here.
The benefit for candidates of being considered under the Firefighter Paramedic Lateral process is the ability to be hired at a higher starting wage, depending on experience, and to receive five preference points added to their general written exam score.
The general written examination serves as the initial “hurdle.” At least the top seventy scoring individuals, plus any individuals tied at the same score, will automatically move on to the oral board interview and physical performance exam. Preference points for those who passed the paramedic skills evaluation, or those currently employed as part-time Paramedics for Unified Fire Authority, will then be added to the written test scores to determine an adjusted, final written score. Those individuals whose final written score, with applicable preference points added, is above the established cut-off score will advance to the oral board interview and physical performance exam.
Paramedic Lateral candidates who do not pass the required skills evaluation can still take the new hire written exam and may be hired as an entry-level Paramedic.
How does this work?
- Attend an open house Workshop Webinar on June 2 or 3, 2021 to find out more about the skills evaluation and hiring process.
- The webinar will allow you to meet the skills evaluators and will cover in detail the overall testing and selection process, the Paramedic Lateral Process and explain the components of the Paramedic Skills Evaluation.
- Workshop webinars will be held on June 2nd at 2:00 P.M. and June 3rd at 10:00 A.M.
- Registration is not required. Access to the recorded webinar can be obtained by clicking on these links: June 2nd Meeting Recording, June 3rd Meeting Recording
- June 14th, 16th, & 18th, July 30th or August 6th. Complete the Paramedic Skills Evaluation. See Timeline section below for registration links. Additional evaluation dates may be added if needed.
- Compete for a position through the standard Firefighter hiring process (see General Testing Process page for more information).
- July 31st, August 4th, 7th, 11th – Take the Firefighter Written Exam (register here).
- If successful, begin a 4-week orientation starting Nov. 15, 2021.
- For those working for a firefighting first responder agency as a full-time Paramedic, credit is given for time for time as a full-time Firefighter EMT or AEMT or full-time Firefighter Paramedic for pay purposes and for meeting the qualifications for advancement to Paramedic II in accordance with UFA Policy. You will be placed in either the Paramedic I or Paramedic II row on the Firefighter Pay Plan from pay step 1 to 10 (top-step) that corresponds with your years of credited service and the qualifications you hold.
- Here are a couple of examples of how the credit for time works:
- If an individual had two years and four months of credited time as a full-time Firefighter Paramedic, and one year of credited time as a full-time Firefighter EMT, for a firefighting first responder ambulance agency, that individual would also start employment with UFA at Step 4/ Paramedic I on the Firefighter Pay Plan and be eligible to move to Step 5 on their one-year employment anniversary. But that individual would also be eligible to promote to Paramedic II in one year and eight months if they had also completed Inspector I and Instructor I certification by then.
- If an individual had Instructor I and Inspector I certification, six years and three months of credited time as a full-time Firefighter Paramedic, and three years of credited time as a full-time Firefighter EMT, for a firefighting first responder ambulance agency, that individual would start employment with UFA at Step 10 (top step)/ Paramedic II on the Firefighter Pay Plan and be eligible for a longevity award following one full year of employment at that top step.
- Credit-eligible service will be verified with the individual’s previous employer by the HR Division and candidates will receive written notification, typically as part of the employment offer, that indicates all years of credit-eligible service along with specific details regarding the designated pay step and if applicable, the remaining requirements necessary to advance to Paramedic II.
- The credit for time does not apply to, or affect, an individual’s seniority date or service date, and is therefore not recognized for benefits associated with those dates (i.e. promotional time requirements, station bids, vacation draws, seniority points for examinations, reductions-in-force, etc.)
- Part-time Paramedics currently working for UFA are not eligible to receive any credit for time unless they are also employed as a full-time paramedic for a pre-hospital, or first responder (firefighting or non-firefighting) agency and may then receive credit through that employment.
- Candidates hired through the Firefighter Paramedic Lateral Process are required to successfully complete a 4-week orientation.
- Full details for the Paramedic Lateral Process can be found in our Paramedic Lateral Process policy.
- Career Firefighters working for a firefighting first responder agency as a full-time Firefighter Paramedic.
- Must have licensure through NREMT
- Must successfully pass a paramedic skills evaluation process conducted by the UFA EMS Division (per NREMT Guidelines).
- Candidates may take to the written exam and participate in the regular hiring process whether or not they pass the skills evaluation. Those who pass are eligible for the Paramedic Lateral preference points and credit for time as described on our website. Individuals who do not pass the evaluation, but are subsequently hired, will be hired as a Step 1 Paramedic I.
- Those selected will be required to pass background investigation, medical exam, new-hire drug test and other contingencies as required in UFA policy
- Those offered a position will be required to successfully complete a 4-week orientation and a one year probationary period.
DATES AND TIMES MAY BE ADDED IF NEEDED
|Workshop Webinar Links:||June 2nd Meeting Recording|
June 3rd Meeting Recording
|Paramedic Lateral Skills Evaluation|
Schedule: June 16th
Schedule: June 18th
Schedule: July 30th
Schedule: August 6th
|Written Exam Registration||May 26th 2021 to July 13th 2021|
|Written Exam||Saturday, July 31st 2021|
Wednesday, August 4th 2021
Saturday, August 7th 2021
Wednesday, August 11th 2021
|Oral Board Assessments & Physical|
|August 30th and 31st 2021|
September 1st, 2nd and 3rd 2021
|Selection of Candidates||September 3rd 2021 through October 16th 2021|
|Background Investigations||September 3rd 2021 through October 16th 2021|
|Final Job Offers||Mid-September through Mid-October 2021|
|New Hire Orientation||November 4th 2021|
|Start of 4-week Orientation||November 15th 2021|