Adopt a School
In fall of 2007, Unified Fire Authority was asked by the Granite Education Foundation to participate in the Adopt-a-School Program with Granite School District. Our Information Outreach Division accepted the invitation and created a standardized program that could be used by crews wanting to get involved. The first year, only three schools were chosen, involving three fire crews. Each crew did something a little bit different to see which would work well. The program has grown to encompass 10 schools and crews.
The Adopt-a-School program allows UFA firefighters to take an active role in community schools. It gives students of these schools a chance to develop personal relationships with firefighters. It allows firefighters to provide fire and life safety instruction to these students. In essence, firefighters become mentors, role models, and aides in ways never before accomplished.
The program hopes:
- To establish a relationship with area schools
- To teach fire and life safety education to youth
- To provide mentoring and role models to elementary age children
- To assist area schools with the education of area youth
- To reduce the arson problem
- To reduce the issues related to juvenile fire setters in the valley
- To be involved in the community through the schools
- Reduce the number of injuries related to fires and youth
- Teach children at a young age in hopes that arson never becomes an issue
For questions or help with this program please email email@example.com